Monday, February 4, 2013

Monday and a new crock pot recipe

Some how it's already Monday again. When I was a kid, I never believed that time went faster as you got older, but unfortunately some how that really is true. The hubby and I had a busy weekend catching up on chores and hanging out with friends for an engagement party. We drove over to Leavenworth, which is so pretty this time of year, and wandered around then stopped to have a couple of beers at the Icicle Brewery.

Other than that I've been kind of bopping along with my resolutions- reading has been going well, but I still have some catch up to do on that. Blogging obviously fell by the wayside a little bit, but I'm trying to get back on track this week. Workouts are still going pretty good. I've only missed a couple due to sickness or traffic. Writing is still pretty much non-existent, so that I will have to work on.

Now on to my recipe failure last week. I tried a couple new crock pot recipes last week. The one I am sharing today combined two Pinterest pins: one for making mashed potatoes in a crock pot and the other for making a potato and parsnip mash. I thought it would be awesome to come home to potatoes ready to be mashed for a weeknight dinner, but wanted to try to lighten the calories with a root vegetable. I will now preface this recipe by saying that I discovered I do NOT like the taste of parsnips in my mashed potatoes. I was hoping for something smooth and starchy, but even with a smaller ratio the flavor of the parsnips completely took over. Now that I have prefaced that-if you like the taste of parsnips this is a great recipe! If, like me, you do not- just use all potatoes (next time I was thinking I might try substituting half cauliflower since that doesn't have as strong of a flavor).

Ingredients:
3 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
2 lbs Parsnips, peeled
1 cup Water
1 cup Butter
1 Tbsp Salt
1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
4 oz Neufchatel Cheese

Directions:


Dice potatoes and parsnips into 1 inch cubes and place in slow cooker. Add salt and pepper.


Cut butter into pats and place on top of potatoes and parsnips. Pour water on top of butter.

Cook on low for 8 hours (can also cook on high for 4 hours).


When ready to serve add Neufchatel Cheese to potatoes and parsnips then mash to desired consistency.


Like I said I will definitely be doing this again without the parsnips. I hope you enjoy.

What did you do this weekend?


No comments:

Post a Comment