Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Maine Book Review

So I decided to start a new blog series reviewing the books I read in 2013. I already kind of did this for "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" in this post. The second book I read this year was Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan.
Image from J. Courtney Sullivan's site

I love the beach, or maybe the coast is a better way to describe it... Being a Pacific NW girl I like the cold, choppy water and near constant wind, rolling in to rough sand and pebble beaches. Therefore I'm up for pretty much any beach themed book, which is what I was thinking when I picked this one up. The story is about four women, 3 generations in a traditional Irish Catholic family, with the main setting as the family beach house on Cape Neddick in Maine. 

I had a really hard time getting into this book. The character development was very good, which is normally what I struggle with in books I'm not instantly hooked by. The characters were just hard to like or root for. They are mostly very selfish and awful to each other. They each have a few redeeming moments, which helped me get to the end of the book, but it's not a book I will read again. This book was definitely a family portrait character study, in that the book really focused on the struggles of individual characters and the family dynamics between them. There was not a true over arching story line, and therefore not a strong ending to the book. 

This would be a good book for readers who enjoy character heavy books, and/or life like dramas/family portrayals.

Have you read Maine? What did you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment